Sunday, March 16, 2014

This Blog and Charles Darwin

I stepped away from this blog for a very long time and in doing so also experienced one of the wonders of the internet, which is that nothing ever really goes away. And like, I know everyone knows that, right? Like Snapchat, WHICH DIDN'T EVEN EXIST WHEN I STARTED THIS BLOG, #old, (hashtags also weren't a thing, they were merely pound signs at the time), everything is still somewhere or something or whatever. I don't know that much about it.

In a creative fit, I deleted all of my blog posts. Those ones you see below, I thought they were no more. It should go without saying that I was wrong (and now I've obviously said it). With them, I found this NPR link, that I noticed I originally posted in October 2012, which totally makes sense because I had just begun teaching high school science that fall. If you're willing and able to click the link (though I will save you the trouble), you'll see that Charles Darwin, who has ultimately become a pretty big deal household name type of guy, once had a bad day and he expressed his feelings in a surprisingly 21st century, modern, and common way. Accordingly, he said "I am very poorly today and very stupid and hate everybody and everything."

Great minds get frustrated with apparently not only themselves, but also humanity. And as NPR points out, we've all felt that way, right? Sometimes I do hate everything or at least I feel like I do. When I tried to delete those blog posts, I must have felt that way. The language is weirdly all encompassing and comes from self-reflection and doubt. Which I also feel a lot as a teacher. Fortunately, the internet has saved me from myself in regards to the blog. 

So, regardless of your feelings on evolution, it's likely that you and me and Charles Darwin all have something in common, which I think is nothing short of fun, and somewhat life affirming.  





No comments:

Post a Comment